#FailedIt

After being trapped in the quicksand of awesomeness that is Master Chef and Master Chef Jr., I have recently become obsessed with making...

Poached eggs.

Why poached eggs? I have no clue.

Perhaps there is a hidden perfectionist in me that seeks the perfect opacity and consistency of egg whites that a good poached egg demands. Perhaps I know that there's a yolk of gold waiting at the end of this proverbial rainbow (that I just made up.)

My first attempt was a lucky one. I guess-timated everything. The only thing I did that I knew for sure was to create that whirlpool of barely-boiling water. I added apple cider vinegar without knowing what it does to the egg. Then I sprinkled salt out of habit because I always put salt in my boiling water.

I left the egg to poach for about 5 minutes, and it cooked fairly well. The egg white thinly folded itself around the yolk. The reason why it did this is because of the salt. After devouring the poached egg, I read that salt actually causes the egg whites to separate. So, note to self: No salt when poaching eggs.

I paired it with leftover bistec (Filipino beef steak) and dusted it with pepper and paprika (the bistec is already pretty savory.) The next day was paired with Filipino adobo. The day after that with bacon. They all tasted delicious as they filled my belly. It was definitely missing the English muffin, but wedding bod, y'all.

Aside from the spongy deliciousness that is the English muffin, the poached egg was missing its sauce-mate, Holly. Holly the hollandaise. Consequentially, I attempted to make it. My hubris got the best of me. Just because I can make whole30 compliant mayo does not mean I can make hollandaise from scratch. To tell you the truth, I haven't had hollandaise in so long that I don't even know what it tastes like. "It's too simple to need to adhere to a recipe," my arrogant amateur self said.

So there it was just seasoned blended egg on my perfectly poached egg.

It was difficult to troubleshoot the hollandaise seeing that I had no idea what taste to go for. By then, I had used up too many eggs and I was way too discouraged to try again.

I #failedit, y'all. I have nothing exciting to share except that this experience made me realize how I react to failure. While I do not live believing I am perfect at all, ironically enough, I also find it so hard to believe that I can fail. Lol. There's a problem here. It seems I don't let myself, and I can be very unforgiving of myself at times.

My next post will be about a hollandaise recipe, and an excellent eggs benny dish that is whole30 compliant. I think to give up would be the arrogant take. It would be the refusal to believe that I have much room for improvement, that I don't need to learn it because I know enough. I'm going to learn and it's going to be delicious. But first, I'm probably going to try it again first.

Comments

Popular Posts